Simple yet refined. Birkenstock sets the standard for comfort, quality and functionality, and it all starts with our carefully selected, high-quality materials from sustainable sources.
The original Birkenstock footbed is made of high-quality natural materials from renewable sources. Natural cork, latex, jute and high quality-suede are joined together to create the top layer of our iconic footbed. These materials go through an elaborate production process to ensure positive, natural qualities of the materials are retained in the end result.
The cork in our footbed is obtained from the outer bark of a cork oak, which regrows every 7-10 years after harvesting. The cork used by Birkenstock comes from production overages of the wine and bottling industries. Rather than going to waste, Birkenstock repurposes this precious natural resource as a primary material of its footbed.
Natural Latex is used along with cork to give the Birkenstock footbed its flexible, supportive qualities. Like cork, natural latex is also a renewable resource, obtained from the resin of rubber trees.
Jute is another natural, renewable material that's an integral part of the Birkenstock footbed. Moisture-wicking fibers provide sturdy structure above and below the core cork-latex.
Top quality leathers and synthetic materials ensure a premium-level all-around product.
- Natural leather can be recognised by its untreated surface. Birkenstock does not treat surface grains and other natural characteristics, leaving every piece unique.
- Suede is a general term for leather that has been buffed on the inside. It has an unfinished yet soft surface.
- Nubuck is a top-grain leather with a softly-buffed surface. Because of its fine fibers, nubuck is sensitive to moisture and colour, and a surface treatment may be recommended for extra protection.
- Patent leather is coated with paint or plastic to give it its notable high gloss shine.
- Wool felt is made from merino wool, a high-quality natural fiber that is gentle on the skin and breathable.
- Felt is a thick material made from synthetic fibers. Birkenstock felts are highly durable, and at the same time comfortable, breathable and soft to the touch.
- Birko felt is made from a blend of rayon and synthetic fibers.
- Birko-Flor® is a high-quality synthetic material. The upper layer is an easy-to-care-for PVC. The lining is a soft, breathable fleece that’s comfortable next to the skin.